I had about 6 months left of validity for my old passport before it expires thus disabling me to travel. So after a quick google search, I decided to head down to Puduraya (go down at Plaza Sentral LRT station) to renew my passport and found the following (some new) things while doing it:
- With effective from 22 April 2013, the applicants who wish to apply for New Malaysia Passport (Polycarbonate) shall submit a passport photo with new specifications. This means all passport pictures no longer requires a blue background!!! But fortunately, Puduraya has two photo shops, one near the entrance that leads you out to the LRT Station and another just outside the immigration office on the second floor. RM12 for four pieces.
Sample of Malaysia Passport Photo (Polycarbonate) (source)
- You'll need to fill in a small form and bring a copy of your IC for passport renewal.
- This Pudu Sentral for passport processing opens every Monday - Friday from 8.00 a.m - 10.00 p.m and also Saturday - Sunday from 8.00 a.m - 10.00 p.m (Passport Processing Only). Closed on Public Holiday. How awesome is that!!! I no longer need to go during office hours to renew my passport! ^__^
- Prices for the passport are still the same. RM100 - 2 years and RM300 for 5 years.
- You can collect your passport on the same day! Easy-peazy!
And now all the new passports are the biometric kinds with an embedded microchip that is compliant with ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization) standards. Thus making it eligible for you to travel within Japan for 90 days without visa. (source) :)
So guys, have you renewed you passports yet? :)