Thursday, November 22, 2012

Disaster strikes on the road to Semarang, Indonesia

"Go back tomorrow lah, kak" persuaded my friend as I busied myself packing my stuff into my already heavy rucksack.
"Where you're gonna stay? Who's there to meet you?" He asked again for the up-tenth time.

I laughed and said that I'll think about it once I get there. It was 8:30 pm. My bus takes off at 9:00 pm. Time was running slim.

My friends weren't happy with my answer and tried to reason with me to stay another night and travel tomorrow instead. The thing is, I already bought the bus ticket and I had an early flight to catch tomorrow morning in Semarang which is about 3 hours and a half drive from the current place, Yogyakarta. Haha... okay, that's a bit far off.

The guys were swarming the room I was staying in. I had to drive them out with a blanket so that I can do my prayers in peace before I leave town. Unbelievably, these guys were my housemates the previous night. Hehe.

Once I was done and went into the living room, my friend Helga once again bombarded me with words of concern. "Did you pack all your stuff? Did you leave anything? Is your phone charged? Don't forget to whatsapp. Do you have your ticket ready?" He said these things repeatedly! R-E-P-E-A-T-E-D-L-Y!

Hahaha.... It was kinda adorable to see a man babble so much.

Eventually we said our goodbyes and I hopped on my host's scooter and we drove into the night. My host, Fauzan who owns the house we crashed the night at, sent me right through the bus station. He kindly asked the workers at the counter about the bus, seeing me getting settled before leaving me. Ahhh.. he's just so kind! #nangis

At that moment I saw the "free wi-fi" sign and immediately went online. =P

Minutes later I was on the bus. Sitting right next to the driver as I wish to sleep throughout the whole journey without being disturbed by a "seat neighbor".

And then.... three hours later.... KABOOMMMM!!

I was awakened by a load crash. The driver's arm was laying across my chest and to my horror the whole front window was shattered! Spilling small spikes of sharp shards all over my lap and shirt. In a split second I realized that my legs were imprisoned as the fronts of the bus crushed inwards, confining my legs in the process.

When I finally found my voice, I let go a scream for help.

"My leg is stuck! My leg is stuck!" I was petrified!

Indonesians came peering into the space that once hold the window and started pulling the ruins outwards. A rough voice from behind positioned his arms under my armpits and asked for my permission to pull me out. I only managed to shriek a weak "yes". A pair of legs suddenly emerged from above began kicking the bus ruins to make room to free my legs.

I was finally freed.

Miraculously I escaped with minor injuries. Can't say the same for some of the passengers who sat at the back. Huhu.

I have no idea who freed me. I saw nor remembered any faces. So I forwarded my THANKS to Allah for not ending my life just yet.

Alhamdulillah. ^___^

As I was warded at Hospital Kariadi Semarang, I joked with my friends back in Yogyakarta saying...

"See.. you don't have to worry about where I'll be staying for the night! It's for free and it's in a hospital! They even send me to the airport in the morning once I'm released!"

Hehe. So travel safe guys! Make sure the journey you're about to embark on is insured by the transport's agency. My story would've ended differently if I wasn't insured. =P


helgaindra said... [Reply]

alhamdulillah kakak gak papa..

kan udah dibilang tinggal lah dulu semalam di semarang..
biar pulang ke malaysia pagi-pagi aja



Jard The Great said... [Reply]

@helgaindra.... iyaaa... baiklah adik Helga cyinnn.... akak akan turuti nasihat kamu lain kali. huhuhu.

Syukur gak papa kan? hehe. =P

Unknown said... [Reply]

Nurul ade terdengar kes ni.. Alahmdullillah x de aper2.. take care..

Jard The Great said... [Reply]

@cik nuru siezuka... alhamdulillah. =)

Wilson Ng said... [Reply]

Most important thing you are fine, jom let's travel next time.

Jard The Great said... [Reply]

@wilson... thanks wilson. Am so thankful to still be alive today. Huhu. it was definitely a CLOSE CALL.

Jom.. never stop traveling. =)

Anonymous said... [Reply]

syukur ko slmat.
yer dont ever stop traveling..


Biqque said... [Reply]

oh mai...thank god u still in one piece! kalo i, mesti nangis2 dah sbb trauma...

Jard The Great said... [Reply]

@kueh.... thanks kueh. =)
INsyaAllah akan terus mengembara seantaro dunia.

@biqque... hehehe... hampir mo nangis.. tp ada org layan whatsapp aku tika tu.. so terubat sikit trauma aku tu.. =p

Bella Enveeus said... [Reply]

Glad ure ok Jard.. Alhamdulillah.. Tak tahu nak ckp apa selain itu.. Huhu

Jard The Great said... [Reply]

@bella... my time hasn't come yet. hehehe

rayyan haries said... [Reply]

Siap lah ko nanti aky jumpa!! Ish budak glad u r safe! I did cry a lik when i heard and stayed up till 5am after to see update from u....fie managed to contact u n informed me of ur wellbeing... Felt responsible since i was the one who got u involved in this solo backpacking thingy...haha..BUT YEAH AM GLAD KO SELAMAT!